[Terrapreta] Charcoal is hydrophobic

Brian Hans bhans at earthmimic.com
Sat Nov 3 07:42:21 EDT 2007

Hi group,

  Say... Something that has been bothering me for a while now. Humic acid and charcoal are both hydrophobic. Yet, I am constantly reading about how humic acid (and charcoal) holds soil moisture.

  Here is a study talking about this aspect of humic acid. I was not able to find a study that specifically talks about charcoal but I am assuming that the same hold. This actually makes alot of sense from a chemistry point of view.

  I personally have not conducted a formal study for myself but have handled enough charcoal and humic acids to believe that adding charcoal/humic acid to a soil will actually decrease the water holding capacity of the soil.

  Im looking for some comments...

  Brian Hans