[Terrapreta] Biochar and Fungi

Shengar at aol.com Shengar at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 18:04:50 EDT 2007

>From Michael;

"Classifying, naming, describing, all soil micro flora/fauna in all climes
is probably beyond anyone's reach. Apart from the difficulty of growing soil
micro flora in lab conditions.
Their dynamic interactions with each  other and plants are only poorly
understood
We would need a NASA type budget  even to have a chance of discovering what
life lives under our feet on this  planet.
SEE
_http://forums.hypography.com/environmental-studies/11569-we-need-trillion-mor
e-indoor-plants-8.html#post194993_
(http://forums.hypography.com/environmental-studies/11569-we-need-trillion-more-indoor-plants-8.html#post194993)
for  more discussion and posts about this very important aspect of Terra
preta

We still don't know if it is a unique suite of Amazonian  micro-organisms
that make TP work as well as it does there. "

To this end I have been researching  Metagenomic work with soils. Way  over
my head, sending emails to convince these guys to support a  Metagenomic
Project for Terra Preta Soil Technology.

I sent off my TP post & links to all the contacts on the soils  studies on
this list ;
_http://www.genomesonline.org/gold.cgi?want=Metagenomes_
(http://www.genomesonline.org/gold.cgi?want=Metagenomes)

Rebecca,   My thoughs for your Someone;

  Charles Mann, in the May issue of National Geographic, reminds  us of the
Columbian Exchange's profound reuniting of life on earth. Earth  & Blood worms
as invasive species?! ...WOW.

Our agriculture has already stirred the weebeastie pot, and over 10,000
years pumped a majority of GHG
to the atmosphere.

Carbon back to the soils is the only road home.

All of us  thrive with good infrastructure, char goes way beyond the old saw
of  "Feed  the soil not the plant" to feeding, clothing, housing, transport,
utilities  and health care to the soil.

The small  steps being taken now by many diverse folks on the list, academia,
and private  sector to develop protocols should show us if there will be any
runaway problems  with opportunistic bugs or fungi in building these soil
communities.

We have been  groping in the microbial dark for a very long time, now with
tools like  Metagenomics, we will see the light of our symbiotic  relationships
with  weebeasties in our health as well as our soils.

P. S.
Yesterday I was contacted by a journalist for the New York Times, wanting  to
do a carbon to the soil story. She was crest fallen when I told her that
SCIAM did a Terra Preta article in May, she wanted an exclusive. I sent her all
my links and she will be pitching the story to her editor for a full
assignment.  I comforted her by saying that no major paper had done a TP story and that
 hardly anyone but academics read Nature and SCIAM.

CROSS YOUR FINGERS.........This could start balls rolling.........NYT;
Circulation 1,120,420 Daily
1,627,062 Sunday

Erich J.  Knight
Shenandoah Gardens