[Terrapreta] Biochar and Fungi

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 01:10:39 EDT 2007

Interesting list Erich

There is a microbiologist doing work on TP soil 'wee beasties' at Cornell
He spoke at the IAI Conference so his paper should be available there
(Although I was told soto voce that the Brazilians were concerned if
something was discovered the Yanks would patent it).
Some work is also being done in S.American universities.
Erich do you have any friends who can translate Spanish?

On answers to 'someone"
You can go to any number of organic websites and buy soil 'wee beaties' to
spread about. these are organisms that someone has decided are "good"

Adding chemical fertilisers, SOM, manuring, ploughing or just about anything
else you do to the soil will help or hinder some Wee Beasties over others.

Earlier on the list we had along discussion on adding sugar to the soil as
is done in some parts of India. This would certainly have immediate effects
on soil fungi etc.

It would be great to think we could look at soil that is relatively
"untouched" by man and see what we could find (Antarctica might be the only
place.)

We do take the chance that we destroy some form of life that could be
beneficial to us everytime we clear land for agriculture, gardens, homes etc

The Japanese have a lot of volcanic soil and have been looking at this and
looking at the innovative ways Australian farmers add superphosphate to the
soil
In the middle of this they found a "Wee Beastie" in their Volcanic scree
that makes phosphate.(!!)
(research link probably at Hypography)

Not much of an answer for 'someone" but it is a big question and one we are
unlikely to have answers for for some time-perhaps when it is too late.
 At the moment anything is "good" (that we happen to discover) that helps
the Human Race survive.
MA