[Terrapreta] Dams & wetter air (Off topic, or not off topic. That is the question.)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Nov 9 00:10:21 EST 2007

Hi Duane,

Terra Preta enthusiasts who have come more recently could suggest that those trees should have been harvested and turned into charcoal for terra preta soil above the waterline before the reservoir was flooded.

Now that's just excellent thinking!

Nuclear power and even salt water could be harnessed to make Hydrogen gas-H2 by electrolysis and then the H2 could be combined with Nitrogen gas-N2 from the air to make Ammonia-NH3 (Haber Bosch process), again using nuclear power.  Finally, CO2, NOx, and SOx emissions from coal fired power plants could be combined with the Ammonia to scrub those emissions and make fertilizers; ammonium bicarbonate-NH4HCO3, ammonium carbonate-(NH4)2CO3, ammonium nitrate-(NH4)NO3 (except not for terrorist folk, guys like Timothy McVeigh or Terry Nichols), and ammonium sulfate (NH42)SO4.  This is how industrial fertilizer is made now!  The only big difference is that we get the H2 gas from cracking Methane-CH4.

NREL and I think Eprida has a patent to do this, but they were considering getting the H2 from biomass.  The problem is that harvesting H2 from biomass might release more CO2 than you could ever put into making ammonium bicarbonate-NH4HCO3 out of.

Solar or wind energy might even be a better choice for this kind of a project.  I really think that ADM, Cargill, and Xcel Energy and Stuart Energy ought to put their heads together and figure out how to do this.  All the technologies exists now.  They could even grow fast growing coppiced Willow plantations and make charcoal to sell to their fertilizer customers as well.  The industrial giants need some incentives to do this.  Would telling them these kinds of ideas do it?  Would they do things to improve the environment, the lot of farmers and consumers, and their bottom lines?!  Do they need to be educated as to how to do this?  I'm a Terra Preta enthusiast and I think you bcan bring most any environmental of energy discussion to the topic

We are never going to grow out needing high nitrogen fertilizers, unless we shrink food consumption (not likely).  This is true even if we cover all agricultural fields in charcoal.  Doing that would only reduce the application rate to closer to the rate at which we remove nutrients in the crops.  Now, we lose probably more than half the fertilizers through run-off and leaching.

I'm a Terra Preta enthusiast and I think you can bring most any environmental of energy discussion to the topic of TP.