[Terrapreta] Dams & wetter air (Off topic, or not off topic. That is the question.)

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 00:38:06 EST 2007

> By the way, I once read a paper generated in Canada - with greenhouse gas
> study funding - which evaluated the generation of greenhouse gases by beaver
> dams. I wondered if the researchers had a good sense of humor and were
> spoofing the funders - or maybe I was taken by an April Fools joke.
>

> Fresh water supply is seen by some as a bigger issue that global warming
> by some, and I doubt the long established practice of controlling river
> flows for irrigation and other uses is going to stop.
>

> I once  looked at using nuclear energy to establish a carbon sink here in
> Alberta back in 2002. The idea contemplated was to pump fresh water from
> the north up to the south to supplement our meager rainfall and grow CO2
> absorbing crops. I suggested at the time that the crops grown could be
> turned into charcoal and buried to make a sink. The sink was estimated to be
> on order of that needed to meet Canada's commitment to Kyoto. At that time
> I had no knowledge of terra preta but had an inkling repeated forest fires
> over many centuries probably generated significant long lasting charcoal.
>

> A few details are available from my presentation at
> http://www.computare.org/Support%20documents/Fora%20Input/CIE/Computare%20Web_CNA%20CIE%20Presentation_files/frame.htm
>

> See Slides 21, 22, 23 and associated notes pages.
>

> Duane
>

> P.S. - I think I may have posted the link above before and apologize to
> those who might have read it for the repetition. Still repetition is
> somewhat of a virtue here.
>
> How amazingly spooky Duane.
You were just waiting for TP to appear!

I am just reading" *NUCLEAR POWER IS NOT THE ANSWER TO GLOBAL WARMING OR
ANYTHING ELSE" by * Helen Caldicott
I expect I will be anti-nuclear by the end of it.
Especially after seeing the ABC's catalyst science show last night on the
effects of radiation on chromosomes in New Zealand servicemen.

Remeber the best way to get char is by pyrolysis and pyrolysis produces all
the energy you are going to need (Depending on the quality of your starting
material)

One of the things a study of TP has given me is a new appreciation of the
incredible diversity and abundance of life in the soil
We should be feeding that.
I think we need to be careful of high nitrogen fertilisers as they are said
to kill the very bacteria etc that produce nitrogen in the soil.
For me TP fits better with an organic farming gardening model.

I am using less and less fertiliser and more and more organic matter.
If i do youse fertiliser I use it in minute quantities or as slow release
Osmacote.which, I hope, more properly mimics the natural
release/availability of nutrients into the soil (Many of my plants are in
pots so it is an artificial environment anyway,)

--
Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"
FROM
http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/permaculture.swf