[Terrapreta] Dams & wetter air (Off topic, or not off topic. That is the question.)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Nov 9 01:07:00 EST 2007

Hi Michael,

Remeber the best way to get char is by pyrolysis and pyrolysis produces all the energy you are going to need (Depending on the quality of your starting material)

One of the things a study of TP has given me is a new appreciation of the incredible diversity and abundance of life in the soil
We should be feeding that.
I think we need to be careful of high nitrogen fertilisers as they are said to kill the very bacteria etc that produce nitrogen in the soil.
For me TP fits better with an organic farming gardening model.

I am using less and less fertiliser and more and more organic matter.
If i do youse fertiliser I use it in minute quantities or as slow release Osmacote.which, I hope, more properly mimics the natural release/availability of nutrients into the soil (Many of my plants are in pots so it is an artificial environment anyway,)

--
Michael the Archangel

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. . . .
Most people don't know that"

I wonder if the carbon in charcoal could buffer or neutralize the caustic nature of industrial fertilizers in soils against soil microorganisms, like charcoal carbon buffers acid in a sour stomach?  Perhaps a combination of high nitrogen fertilizers and charcoal might improve the value of both amendments ... sort of a synergistic thing.  You could throw in some cow urine and sugar in for good measure, too, maybe?!
Where is AD Karve when you need a good cow urine, sugar, and charcoal experiment to be done, huh?  Makes me wish I had a cow.