[Terrapreta] range fuels

mmbtupr at aol.com mmbtupr at aol.com
Fri Nov 9 09:43:11 EST 2007

         from  Lewis L Smith, energy economist

As I recall, all gas-to-liquids processes [ GTL ] use FT [ an old
technology ] plus proprietary catalysts [ new technology ].  There are
actually several GTL processes which are commercially proven, and three
GTL projects based on natural gas are under construction in Qatar.
These processes produce one or more of what are called "middle
distillate" when manufactured in an oil refinery, such as diesel,
kerosene, naphtha, No. fuel oil and such like. [ There are also
assorted specialty byproducts. ]  The input may be biogas, natural gas
or a mixture thereof.

[ Further projects in that country have been put on hold, due to future
electricity demand from luxury condominiums approved or under
construction plus uncertainties about the geological nature and
potential reserves of Qatar's largest gas field, which it shares with
Iran ! ]

The oldest GTL technology is that of Shell, which has been making
middle distillates  from natural gas in Malaysia for more than a
decade. Shell has also bought a minority interest in CHORENS, the
German inventor of a biogas process. A CHORENS plant under construction
will supply biogass from wood and wood waste to a Shell plant which
will specialize in making a major component of diesel by Shell's GTL
process.

GTL would be a logical way to exploit a lot of "stranded" natural gas
fields which are not economically accessible by pipeline and some of
which are very large. Environmentally the products would still
contribute to global warming, but the "stem to stern" impact would be
considerably less than coal or oil. However, GTL products contain no
sulphur.

However, there is a shortage of contractors who know how to build GTL
plants, and their construction cost has shot up due to Chinese and
Indian demand for cement, diesel, reinforcing bars and other inputs to
the construction of capital-intensive projects.

The gasification of grasses grown on land not well suited to food crops
plus GTL would also be a source of  energy environmentally better than
refinery products, but again deployment is the bottleneck. There again
are not enough people who know how to organize such projects and
operate them or enough who know how to build them.

Cordially.  ###