[Terrapreta] Dams & wetter air (Off topic, or not off topic. That is the question.)

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Fri Nov 9 10:45:09 EST 2007

            Michael,

            Thanks,

I wasn't exactly waiting for TP to appear. I was looking for it and my
search intercepted with the Michael Antal briefly and then Danny Day's
seminal conference in Georgia. I began to think I was not totally - only
partly - nuts when I participated in that.

I'm sure you will be anti-nuclear if you accept all of Helen Caldicott's
arguments against it. You might choose to be a little skeptical of her
position if you consider that the there are some 400 nuclear power plants
quietly providing about 15% of the world's electricity. If you consider the
tremendous potential of nuclear fission to supply energy you might start to
wonder if it should be used for those processes such as producing
electricity and fuel for transport which do not preserve and increase the
world's productive soil. I'm a little skeptical that we can get all the
energy humanity needs from pyrolysis. Remember that the terra preta concept
depends on organic material as well as char.

http://www.computare.org/Support%20documents/Fora%20Input/CCC2006/Nuclear%20
Paper%2006_05.htm

Finally, I recall that Danny Days facility, albeit just a test rig, is
heated electrically to produce char and hydrogen. Since it is located in a
region where nuclear power goes to the grid, it is thus an  example of a
process that produces hydrogen and char from nuclear energy. My recall may
be wrong on that electrical heating but I'm sure some members of the list
can confirm or refute that.

Duane