[Terrapreta] Fwd: Cellulosic biomass into Ethanol conversion.

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Sat Nov 10 16:27:50 EST 2007

Sean-------Thanks for these comments. You have filled in some blank
spots in my understanding of pyrolysis-------Larry

Rich--------Sean comes through on this post. I have been waiting for
an explanation that clarifies what is happening in the retort that I
have been using. As mentioned earlier, I have been stalled (not being
a researcher) as to what I have been seeing. Specifically, Sean's
comments explain or give me a direction to ponder. The quote below
covers aspects of both the mound burning technique and the retort
technique.

For example:
"Pyrolysis is called thermo-chemical reaction because is occurs as a
result of high heat.  Biology is killed at pyrolysis temperatures.
When biomass is heated (externally at first) the first thing to occur
is that water is driven out of the biomass.  Essentially it is boiled
away and escapes as steam.  Then above 150 C or so, the cellulose and
lignin begin to decompose, breaking apart the long carbohydrate
strings.  This is all in the endothermic stage of the reaction.  This
means it requires the input of heat (or oxygen and complete
combustion (burning) of some of the biomass feedstock) to continue.
Eventually though, at about 250 C, the reaction becomes exothermic.
This means that there is then enough heat being released by the
decomposing molecules that the reaction becomes self-sustaining,
without the continuance of added external heat.

In the exothermic stage of a pyrolysis reaction, hot incomplete
combustion gases are being driven out of a charcoal "bed".  The
combustion is incomplete because the amount of oxygen is limited.
The heat breaks up the carbohydrate molecules in the charred biomass,
rendering some fuel gases; Hydrogen gas-H2, Carbon monoxide-CO,
Methane-CH4, Ethane-C2H6, etc.  The fuel gases are incomplete
combustion products.  There was not enough oxygen for them to have
burned (oxidized).  There are also some complete combustion product
gases exiting from a pyrolysis reactor/gasifier; Carbon Dioxide-CO2
and Water vapor-H2O.  CO2 is burned CO.  H2O is burned H2.  Complete
combustion (burning) means combining with oxygen and releasing heat."

I do think that it is important to learn what the smoke can tell us
in the pyrolysis process which I will continue (for a while) to vent
the retort (less than 3 cu ft capacity) while capturing as much of
the wood vinegar as possible. There have been some questions, in my
mind, about the heat source (propane) being greater than the energy
value of the wood vinegar and the charcoal. There are many more
questions to be answered about the products from the condensate-------
Larry

Begin forwarded message: