[Terrapreta] Emailing: The Carbon Farmers-Features- The Lab -Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Gateway to Science.htm

bakaryjatta bakaryj at gamtel.gm
Sun Nov 11 11:21:46 EST 2007

Dear David, Len, Kurt and list members.

Thanks for your observations about char and soil organic matter. Reading a
lot about soil restoration methods I saw the comment that Soil organic
matter is soon lost, especcially in hot moist conditions. This I observe to
be a major problem on my site (in W. Africa). The concern for providing an
environment for soil organisms to survive and flourish is valid. Besides
compost consider the alternative sources of these organisms. Bokasi
fertilizer mentioned in REAP canada web pages deals with that and has rice
char in it as an ingredient. The other source, which I am using, is the
effluent of the biogas digester I constructed based on Dr. A. D. Karve's
design. You can find references to them  on the Bioenergy site. Not having
the time to spend on elaborate experiments I tried several combinations in
various parts of a field and can only draw a general conclusion, which you
may not consider sufficient as far as detail or think not to be scientific
enough.

The best result I found  was on the part of the field where the inputs were
some char mixed with urine in individual planting holes, and diluted
effluent from the digester was added  periodicallly. Another factor was that
this part of the field had some agro-forestry trees growing which provided
mulch. Other parts of the field where even Agro-forestry trees had failed to
establish successfully still showed better crop yields compared with
previous years.

This is great progress for me as I have been trying to improve this site for
twenty years!  The use of effluent from the biogas digester in combination
with mulch was the first noticeable improvement in this process. An other
observation I made was that partial shade seems to be a sgnificant factor as
well. I will have to try and establish more trees using the biochar mixture
to assist!

In conclusion I think that it will be difficult to come up with silver
bullet answers for the varried conditions found even within the same region.
Your observations that Biochar needs to combined with other elements seems
obvious. CO2 sequestering is a common benefit. Convincing farmers to do so
will be depending on their knowledge, attitudes and motives. Carbon trading
is out of it as far as the common peasant is concerned as he or she has not
even heard of it. If the 'developed' world cannot get it sorted out, what
can you expect the millions of peasants to do?

The task is rather big, I think. I am appreciating your efforts.

Kind regards,

Bakary Jatta,
Bwiam Village, Western Region, The Gambia