[Terrapreta] An interesting conversation on CO2 if interested

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 05:23:11 EST 2007

Yes, interesting discussion at the forum.
I tried to register to participate but couldn't figure out how?
Oh well, perhaps it's best for me not to get pulled into yet
another conversation (heheh).

Two points about calculating human impact in terms of CO2,
a big one and a strong quibble:

The quibble is that it is completely wrong to say that replanting trees
balances
CO2 release through deforestation. Yes, young trees have faster pull down
of CO2 but they must grow to the age of the ancient forest that was cut in
order
to sequester as much carbon.

The big point is very simple -- natural ecosystems can hold 20 - 100 times
more CO2
per unit area than agricultural systems. Human populations need agriculture.
Population
increase expands agriculture. Huge amounts of CO2 are released quite
independent of
human or industrial "emissions" just because we eat.

TERRA PRETA TO THE RESCUE -- CREATE AN AGRICULTURE THAT HOLDS MORE CARBON

Which leads me to something that I'm coming to appreciate more and more.
Terra Preta is not simply a method to achieve a more efficient form of btu
exchanges, a new balance between generation and exhaust, more food from less
input and less waste, etc.

It is a paradigm shift from the extractive agriculture of modern
civilization which is based on extraction (mining the soil) to a restorative
agriculture that holds the promise of healing both nature and people.
This is the new dream of the earth!

Well ... I believe it.
I suspect that some of you do as well.

hugs,