[Terrapreta] Subject: Re: An interesting conversation on CO2 if interested

bakaryjatta bakaryj at gamtel.gm
Mon Nov 12 12:39:30 EST 2007

Dear lou and list members,

If we link TP and sequestering CO2 with Agricultural systems, let us go a
step
further. Soil erosion is a major disaster world wide, especially when people
are trying to farm marginal lands on side hills and other problem sites. A
successful technology
introduced in many countries is the use of Vetiver grass to make low contour
bunds permanent. It is not invasive and is a survivor. It traps soil and
debris and breaks the force of run off water.
The grass has roots that penetrate soil to a depth of up to
three meters. It gets established within a short time and it probably
sequesters CO2 more effectively than several other plant species. Add some
biochar when planting to optimize the process right from the start and you
have added another plus to increased agricultural production. For more info
about the technology go to www.vetiver.org .

Kind regards,

Bakary Jatta