[Terrapreta] Subject: Re: An interesting conversation on CO2 ifinterested

mmbtupr at aol.com mmbtupr at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 21:51:28 EST 2007

      from  Lewis L Smith

Vetiver really works. We planted some pigeon peas on a 35 degree slope
on our farm in Puerto Rico for years, with a row of vetiver [ pacholí ]
planted on the contour, above and below the planting of peas. Never had
any problem with erosion. However, vetiver should not be allowd to
reach its maximum height but cut back every so often.

The URL given by B Jatta not only has pictures but manuals based on
extensive experience with vetiver in agricultural and conservation
uses, especially in the prevention of eroison, espcially in Asia. This
is one "wheel" which definitely doesn't have to be invented or proven.

Using vetiver is also a great way to save diesel and No. 6 fuel oil, in
protecting railroads, roads, stream embankments and such like. It can
completely replace en engineering works.

Cordially. ###