[Terrapreta] energy balance and emissions

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 11:52:26 EST 2007

Mariska:

    1.  Good question below.  There is no doubt that there is plenty of exothermic energy release during pyrolysis (we ususally hear of a starting biomass energy content about 18 MJ per kg and with about 25% by weight charcoal left over at 30 MJ per kg (or 7.5 MJ in 250 gm) - there was about 10 MJ per kg available for productive use.  However, if none is captured for productive use (cooking etc) and one places about half of the initial carbon (and energy) into the ground - one is justified in asking about net energy balance.

   2.  However, even then, I believe one can show (eventually - haven't seen it yet -  in the published literature) that the later increased productivity of the soil and the need for less fertilizer will again show an even bigger positive net energy benefit.

   3.  Great that you are working on this problem.

Ron