[Terrapreta] energy balance and emissions

Gary Rondeau grondeau at efn.org
Tue Nov 13 23:54:07 EST 2007

Mariska,

Ron's numbers don't answer how much energy is needed to bring the fuel
up to the exothermic point (unless it was already subtracted in the
18MJ/kg number).   As an exercise I figured the energy required to bring
10% H2O in the feed stock up to pyrolysis temps and it turns out to be
about 0.35MJ.  Not sure what the heat of vaporization of the pyrolysis
products is - but total input heat load must be in the 1-2MJ/kg range to
get the process started. I guess theoretically you could get some of
that back if you were directly burning the pyrolysis products and
directly using the heat, but would probably be lost if you were
producing bio-oil.  Another one of those annoying 10% losses!
This reference:
http://www.dynamotive.com/assets/articles/2007/Task_34_Booklet.pdf
claims that the pyrolysis process requires about 15% of the energy in
the feed stock.

Gary