[Terrapreta] energy balance and emissions

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Nov 14 11:02:57 EST 2007

Mariska, etal

1,  I liked the IEA document at the Dynamotive site given below by Gary -
and the idea of producing liquid fuels is certainly one that we can imagine
being a winner, with some char output..  Fifteen percent is probably based
on someone's study.  However,  as we hear from more producers, I can imagine
that number going down.  Some fast pyrolysis plants are apparently using the
charcoal (rather than incoming biomass) for heat - which seems like a
terrible waste for those of us interested in getting charcoal into soil.

2.  Here's hoping we can hear from other companies where char is the desired
output - and they are finding ways to use the co-product gases.

3.   Kevin's Excel spreadsheet and plot (last night's mail) are useful, but
one has to assume the number (like 15%, but Kevin's default value is high)
that you are looking for.  (Here's hoping that Kevin will provide a metric
option as well.)

4.  But I think we are not answering your original energy question (given
below), which was on "the benefits and draw backs of biochar production on a
large scale."   I have heard skeptics say many times that it is better to
NOT place the char in the ground if one is interested in atmospheric CO2
levels.  I intuitively believe the opposite.  First, because of the
increased soil productivity - and many years of biomass production to offset
the initial investment of taking some useful energy (charcoal) out of use -
with that increased later biomass available for fossil fuel displacement.
But also there is the extra (double?) CO2 sequestered by the new soil
bacteria and fungus fostered by the char.  I hope you are working on this
problem - a small part of which is the 10%, 15%, 20% needed for the char
production itself.  Doing everything parametrically is a fine first step - a
(big) extension of Kevin's Excel spread sheet.  We on this list need this
information to rebut the critics (who are on the energy - maybe also the
climate - but definitely not on the soils side of this three-sided debate).

Good luck

Ron