[Terrapreta] IPCC Summary for Policy Makers

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Sun Nov 18 13:35:17 EST 2007

Dear Erich, Kevin,

The IPCC Mitigation report does discuss the concept that biomaterial could
be burned completely for energy, the resultant CO2 could be captured,
recompressed using some form of energy, and injected into the ground a la
schemes to sequester carbon dioxide from fossil fuel plants.  That gets the
IPCC into the carbon negative concept.

It is inexplicable, that with all the expertise they have mustered, they
don't even mention the concept of partial combustion leaving some char for
sequestration. Sure some energy production would be foregone - but the
energy consumptive steps of CO2 separation/compression would also be
avoided. I would bet it would be easier to demonstrate lasting sequestration
with a solid product than a gas too.

I spoke to a local agricultural/climate mitigation expert about the fact
terra preta is missing from the IPCC a couple of months ago. (That expert is
now a Nobel Prize winner by the way.) He is interested and he charitably
suggested the IPCC is possibly just not sure enough of it's efficacy to
bring the concept forward to their grab-bag of potential solutions. I find
it hard to buy that, as there are plenty of other proposed solutions in
their arsenal that are far from proven - indeed some are counterproductive
re atmospheric greenhouse gas reduction.

I'm guessing there is just no champion for Terra Preta on the IPCC
authorship list, and that the contributors have their own pet theories
and/or financial interests to promote. Perhaps some of you should be
applying to contribute to the IPCC as authors. Here is a how to guide.

http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/ipcc/nominations-dec2003.htm

Duane