[Terrapreta] blog comment example

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 01:24:47 EST 2007

Technology and economy have always driven the relationship between humans
and nature. But now, with so many people, the relationship between
technology and economy also holds the future of the human race and the
planet. There can be much much good -- what we view as progress. And there
can be problems -- terrible ones. Much depends on the positive feedback
loops. Warming means there will be more food grown in Canada and thawing
permafrost will release even more greenhouse gases.

The question is not really about having technology or profits or progress
(or not), but whether a particular techno-economic approach gives us new and
larger problems or new and larger solutions? A positive feedback loop for
solutions? Hmmmm, I hope that got your attention. Is such a thing possible?
I believe the answer is YES and it takes the form of an ancient-future soil
technology called Terra Preta do Indio (Portuguese for Indian Black Earth).

Recent research emerging from the Amazon basin is locating large deposits of
an extremely fertile and resilent soil called terra preta. It appears to be
human-made, ancient indians adding charcoal to the soil to produce the
result -- carbon dating says much of it is 2500 to 4000 years old. Terra
preta soil is so productive -- up to 800% increased plant growth -- that it
could have easily supported an agriculture capable of feeding millions of
people living in great cities in the central Amazon basin. Hmmmm (again).
This is the legend of El Dorado.

But do we have to embrace a mythic vision, a conquistador's dream of gold?
Is there some solid science involved? Might there actually be a modern soil
technolgy whereby faster growing plants would draw more CO2 out of the
atmosphere and the unused plant waste turned into charcoal to be returned to
the soil -- resulting in increased crop yields, more carbon capture and long
term sequestration, more food and fuel for increasing populations, and a new
era of abundance. In other words, might there be a positive feedback loop
for healing ourselves and the earth? A technologically and economically
supported relationship for bringing human beings and nature into a mutually
supportive marriage? A sustainable relationship of abundance?

The data are not in but the soil research is being conducted and the hopes
are great. But we will need more than new agricultural technology. Right now
the overwhelming economic opportunities are located in creating fuel. What
can incentivize devoting a portion of the charcoal that can be produced from
agricultural waste to amendments for renewing the soil?

THE CARBON EXCHANGE CAN PRODUCE THE NEEDED ECONOMIC TIPPING POINT.

Those who have no choice about polluting ways can fund those who have a
choice but incur lost opportunities for short-term profits if they do the
right thing. We can leave the blame-game and help each other. What a
concept!

Please check out the following links to discover more about this exciting
possibility.

The ABC 11 minute video about the the modern version of terra preta called
"Agrichar". http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s2012892.htm

Kelpie Wilson's lay person's introduction to terra preta.
http://www.biochar-international.org/images/Joyful_Liiving_Terra_Preta_Sept-Oct_0207.pdf

Research confirms that char added to soil boosts crop productivity.
http://biopact.com/2007/06/research-confirms-biochar-in-soils.html

The BBC documentary, "The Secret of El Dorado".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/eldorado.shtml

Ken Salazar has introduced a bill in the US Senate that would fund research
on agrichar.
http://biopact.com/2007/10/towards-carbon-negative-bioenergy-us.html

I report the story unfolding from Brazil here. http://lougold.blogspot.com/

Lou Gold