[Terrapreta] Bali Media Opportunity

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 07:53:34 EST 2007

Hi Everyone,

The Bali meetings to replace or revise the Kyoto protocols will take place
Dec 3 - 14. These meeting will generate a lot of media attention worldwide.
And that will also be a great opportunity to connect with bloggers,
editorial boards, journalists and the like. From what I have read carbon
capture and sequestration in the soil is NOT ON THE AGENDA.

But not to fear. This is a process building toward new protocols and a new
"carbon economy." Therefore it is extremely important that we enter the
dialogue. It's a magnificient opportunity to people -- lay and expert,
public and private -- interested. We need to start crafting our messages,
pleas, letters to the editor, whatevers and make sure that we crank them out
during the short period of media spotlight and attention. We need to help
give terra preta a voice that might move the world from fossil fuel darkness
into a living and growing light.

Here is the rap at the official site at
http://unfccc.int/meetings/cop_13/items/4094.php
*
What is expected from the Bali Conference?

*An international agreement needs to be found to follow the end of the Kyoto
Protocol's first commitment period, which ends in 2012. In order to avoid a
gap between then and the entry into force of a new framework, the aim is to
conclude a new deal by 2009 to allow enough time for ratification.

The "Bali roadmap" would establish the process to work on the key building
blocks of a future climate change regime, including adaptation, mitigation,
technology cooperation and financing the response to climate change. But it
would also need to set out the methodology and detailed calendar of work for
this process.