[Terrapreta] Bali Media Opportunity

Ruy Korscha Anaya de la Rosa korscha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 14:49:34 EST 2007

Hello Tom, Sean, Lou and all,

You can find the regular process for submitting a new CDM methodology
clicking on the following link:

http://cdm.unfccc.int/Projects/pac/howto/CDMProjectActivity/NewMethodology/index.html

A Designated Operational Entity (DOE) is usually the starting point.
The DOEs are the official validation, verification and certification
companies accredited by the Executive Board (EB) to perform these
activities.

So, the project developer must introduce its terra preta project to a
DOE (I do not know how expensive is this but it represents a cost for
sure) by submitting the Project Design Document (PDD) with its
respective terra preta methodology. The forms can be found also by
clicking on the link above. Then the PDD and the new methodology are
forwarded to the EB and Meth Panel for revision.

Therefore, first of all, a specific terra preta project and terra
preta methodology in a certain developing country must be developed. I
have been thinking that, to start with, terra preta projects under the
CDM might be more appropriate in major developing economies such as
China, India, Brazil and Mexico.

These 4 countries are developing at a fast pace, their greenhouse gas
(GHG) emissions are rapidly increasing and their future energy demand
is alarming. Because of this, industrailized nations, particularly the
resilient U.S.A, want them to commit to legally binding CO2 targets in
a Post-Kyoto regime (By the way, this is one of the most important
topics to be treated in Bali). New windows of opportunity will be
opened for these 4 countries. terra preta???

Furthermore, the CDM projects in the pipeline of only these 4
countries represent a little bit more than 80% of all the CDM projects
worldwide. There are several reasons behind this and expertise is one
of them. Moreover, in some areas in these countries forests are
already administered in a sustainable manner for some time now or are
in the way to achieve this. And obviously, a terra preta project must
be accompanied with sustainable management of forests.

Tom, I know very well Pro Natura's biochar project. I have been in
contact with them here in Paris. Actually Action Carbone is buying the
Verified Emission Reductions (VERs) of their project in Senegal
through the Voluntary Carbon Market (not CDM). However, it is not a
terra preta project because they are using the biochar produced to
replace traditional charcoal which is used to cook their food with.
So, this brings me to a polemic argument that terra preta might face
sooner or later and also another motive for considering first the
major developing countries I described:

How are you going to dig the biochar in the soil instead of using it
directly to substitute traditional fuels in economically poor regions
where deforestation remains uncontrolled and biomass is their primary
energy source??

I do not know Eco-Carbone and I do not know if both mentioned
organizations are going to Bali. It would be interesting to know what
they think and how they can help.

Everyone's contribution is welcome.

cheers,

Ruy