[Terrapreta] Bali Media Opportunity

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Nov 23 15:34:49 EST 2007

Ruy,

Thank you for the explanations. I have worked on PDD documents for biomass
energy projects and I agree with a strategy to develop projects in the four
target countries you suggest: China, India, Brazil and Mexico. I can think
of good potential project areas in Mexico and Brazil. I wonder if some
existing terra preta project areas would be good sites to propose CDM
projects. Existing projects may have the institutional infrastructure to
support the organizational demands of CDM projects.

In terms of justifying terra Preta projects it seems that the work by Dr.
Ogawa and colleagues should be useful. See  Carbon Sequestration by
Carbonization of Biomass and Forestation: Three Case Studies by Ogawa,
Okimori and Takahashi http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/ogawacarbon2006

The use of charcoal for fuel vs soil is an important issue and may be why we
have not seen efforts to use charcoal in arid regions of Brazil, for
example. I have thought that Christoph Steiner's slash and char technique of
using char in planting holes might be a way of using less char to show
results that should hopefully lead to increased use were char is mostly used
for fuel.

Regards,

Tom