[Terrapreta] heat energy: stoves vs. thermo biopiles

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Nov 23 15:06:06 EST 2007

Hi Gerrit,

I suspect its 80% of the released heat, not 80% of the combustible energy in the biomass feed.  Capturing 80% of the combustible energy is about as good as any complete combustion (burning) process could ever do.  That would leave just ash.  It even 25 or 30% of the original carbon is left in the biomass, then this constitutes at least 60% of the energy content of the feed also.  I'm sure the total energy harvest efficiency from making compost is much much lower than 80%.

Compost does make better fertilizer, to be sure, than charcoal does, even low temperature charcoal.  It has been suggested more than once on this site that charcoal could be combined with compost to make a soil amendment which is initially more fertile than fresh charcoal.