[Terrapreta] Tender offered for a design for a simple biochar cooker - or pre-made unit

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 23 17:09:30 EST 2007

I agree with this, if some of the engineering people or firms can offer
plans or models of simple, clean burning char making pyrolysis heating
units, for example, one that can provide supplemental replacement heat for a
30x96 greenhouse that would divert a certain percentage of the oil normally
used, this would allow those of us in market gardening with greenhouses to
use local materials to generate our own char and capture the energy
benefits.

Market gardeners are also uniquely well placed to experiment with char in
various ways. I was rereading Eliot Coleman's masterpiece, the New Organic
Grower, 2nd edition, and found a use for char as a soil darkening agent to
increase solar gain for early springtime planting. Char can be added to
greenhouse soils, to compost, to compost teas, etc, and those growing for
market if they have self generated char should be ideally placed to evaluate
its strengths and weaknesses.

So, how about it, engineering peoples?

Frank Teuton