[Terrapreta] heat energy: stoves vs. thermo biopiles

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Sat Nov 24 02:00:16 EST 2007

Lewis L Smith wrote:
> In any case, I never got a complaint. Moreover, as I recall from a
> Hawaiian report, there are five ways in which energy is wasted in a
> biomass boiler, so I did never figure out why we should give special
> treatment to H2O !  But then, I am not an engineer !

In order to take advantage of the HHV of a fuel, when burning it, you would
need to condense the steam (water). Steam holds a lot of energy. So when one
burns hydrogen (H2) you end up with oxidized H2 or H2O (water). Since the
combustion is hot the water will be in the form of steam and this steam will
go up the flue.

Of course if you had a flueless burner one would capture all the heat in your
building but your window may condense water.

Best wishes,

Jeff