[Terrapreta] FIeld and Nursery Trials

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Nov 24 01:30:52 EST 2007

Hi Tom,

I was reading a paper done by Dr. Johannes Lehmann from Cornell -> http://www.georgiaitp.org/carbon/PDF%20Files/CSteinerpres.pdf<http://www.georgiaitp.org/carbon/PDF%20Files/CSteinerpres.pdf>

I got my 100+ tons of charcoal per acre estimate from that paper.  They were discussing charcoal concentrations at 60 g per kg of soil.  In it, they showed that the best results (for yield in nitrogen fixing beans) that they achieved was at that concentration (60 g kg-1).  There is a paragraph at the end of the paper, where they came up with 121.5 tons per hectare (10,000 sq meters = ~2.47 acres).  Jim's number at 50 tons/acre is closer to there number than my 100+ tons/acre (121.5 metric tons / 2.47 acres/ha = 49.2 metric tons/acre, 1 metric ton = ~1.1 metric tons, so ~55 tons/acre).  I mentioned this to Jim when we talked about it.

I read just today, too, at http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/taxonomy/term/6/9<http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/taxonomy/term/6/9>, Terra Preta: Homepage about Anthrohumox in Brazilian Lowland<http://www.gerhardbechtold.com/TP/gbtp.php?vers=2>, Gerhard Bechtold, University of Bayreuth/Munchen, Germany, November 2007, carbon content at 9%!  That is 90+ grams of charcoal per kilogram of soil.

So, I think the charcoal density in the orginal Terra Preta and in tests done by the soil scientists from Cornell and Bayreuth do show very high application rates (50+ tons/acre at least).  If you find this differently, let me know?