[Terrapreta] compost and charcoal

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Sun Nov 25 02:03:20 EST 2007

when the research is all done and written, i expect the judgment will be
that it is not char that reduces NOx emissions, but microbials.  char
provides habitat and housing for microbes that process and stabilize
soil N into non-volatile forms, and char is mostly passive in this
process.  complex, interactive communities of microbes proliferate
within the char's spongy matrix, and this explosion of living biomass is
where the real action is.  char's main contribution to this NOx emission
reduction is to absorb and hold the various N ions in the C matrix
rather than allowing the N compounds to dissolve and leach away.

david