[Terrapreta] Fwd: compost and charcoal

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Nov 25 14:57:34 EST 2007

Duane,

Beautiful countryside. The beehive kilns shown are described in detail in
Robert Massengale's book but as a Missourian forester he concentrates on
Missouri.

He does provide great history of charcoal use for iron production in the
east and describes how it moves west and south to show the periods in which
charcoal was produced, first for iron, then for wood distillation
(methanol), then for domestic use. Production for iron revolved around wood
plantations owned by these mining companies like the silver mine you saw.
These were company towns of the kind we had in the wood industry. He
describes a period of what you might call "sustainable use" in which
companies consumed as much wood as they could regenerate. As in the wood
products industry this gave away to overcutting when demand for iron rose
and small producers gave way to corporations.

When high temperature blast furnaces were able to use coal to reduce the ore
then wood was no longer in demand. Production of charcoal as a byproduct of
wood distillation stopped when cheap synthetic  (coal based) methanol was
available from Germany, in about 1935, for substantially less than it could
be produced from wood. For the wood technologies see books like Hermann F J
Wenzl, The Chemical Technology of Wood, Academic Press, 1970 or N.E.
Rambush, Modern gas Producers, 1923, Benn Brothers Ltd., London.  The
chemical products are now made from natural gas.

There was a vigorous spurt of charcoal kiln development in the 1930-1950s to
meet the demands of the increasing briquette market. At the time New York
City, for example had a very large consumption of charcoal for domestic use.
I did not understand the significance of the development of the Missouri
Charcoal Kiln until I read Massengale's book.  That was a very active period
for wood science. (He quotes people like Andrew Baker, formerly of the USFS
Forest Products lab in Madison, Wisconsin, who was very active in charcoal
development in the 1950s and 1960s.) These labor intensive kilns have
largely been displaced by modern continuous retorts using waste wood as raw
material.

Tom