[Terrapreta] Fwd: compost and charcoal

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Sun Nov 25 13:52:58 EST 2007

Tom, Kevin, Lou

My wife and I ran across this little bit of US charcoal history in the
spring of 2003 and visited while on a trip through the Death Valley area.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/deva/Charcoal.htm

http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.death-valley.4.html

The websites above note they were in operation for only about ten years.
They don't say what happened to the surrounding forest. It is high and dry
there and the trees in the immediate neighborhood are quite small now.

We got some nice pictures, but I'm giving list members a bandwidth break.

I wonder if this was mentioned in the book you referenced.

Duane