[Terrapreta] Fwd: compost and charcoal

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Sun Nov 25 17:15:29 EST 2007

Gerald-------One point on this Texas commission article. They do note
in a chart that charcoal, "May contain materials that harm
plants..."*.  They have soils with high toxicity's. See: http://
www.searchanddiscovery.net/documents/abstracts/2004swsection/
Montoyaetal..htm . Charcoal can absorb toxins so I accept their
caution and attempt to stay away from potential toxic sources for use
in composting and my charcoal experiments here in the Pacific
Northwest. Could they have made a blanket decision on composting
charcoal that covered grass cuttings from chemically treated lawns,
agricultural chemicals remaining in crop residuals or industrial
contamination? We would be wise to be alert to our own material
sources for composting given amount of industrial chemicals available.

When I first started making charcoal, in very small quantities, the
charcoal had access to alder smoke (Alnus rubra) while I barbecued
chicken (you could consider this technique as the Webber agri-char
process). For the best part of a year, the bits of charred wood and
charcoal were stockpiled on the ground, an aerobic process. Some
human urine was used as fertilizer on rare occasion. This pile was
buried in a vegetable bed and produced the largest swiss chard that I
have ever seen---42 inches high. The buried charcoal from beneath
these plants can be seen in these pictures @ http://www.flickr.com/
photos/rchaard/336553821/in/set-72157594444994347/ .

In the early nineties, before I knew of charcoal's benefits, I had 30
cubic yards compost piles of wood chips (a knife cut), grass
clippings and, in the fall, leaves.  Most compost piles reached a 140
degrees F. with one compost pile reaching close to 160 degrees F..
These piles were turned by a skid-steer machine. At times during the
summer they were watered. It would be good to have access to
facilities to include charcoal in the composting process for use on a
farm, for example. It was an energy intensive effort.

Adding charcoal to compost implies a considerable amount of weight. I
would think that less weight in a product, by using a compost tea
with microbes to inoculate the charcoal, would be the best sales option.

I see no reason for not including charcoal in the composing process
with the caveat that, in this industrial age, one is very careful to
exclude toxins. We do know that toxicity in the environment is
ubiquitous so an industrial process to compost using charcoal is
suspect. Composting with charcoal at a local level by attentive small
holders holds the best opportunity to prevent the movement of toxins.

At a current price of $100 dollars per barrel, energy prices will
likely favor small holder operations in the future from what I
see-------Larry

------------------------
*Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
A Green Guide, to Yard Care GI-028,  PDF version, (revised 8/06)
@ http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/files/gi-028.pdf_4045841.pdf     (page 9)

Table 3. Compost Pile Ingredients: Yes, No, or Use with Caution

Material                                        Use?
C:N*                 Comments

Algae, seaweed and         / Yes          /  N       /  Good nutrient
source.
lake weed

Ash from coal or              /  No           /  O      /   May
contain materials that harm plants. Best to exclude charcoal

Ashes from clean wood    / Caution     /  O      /  Small amounts are
acceptable.
  (not treated or painted)
---------snip----------

On Nov 24, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:

>> Tom,
>>
>> Thanks for that link about the enhancing effect of charcoal on
>> compost by Japanese researchers.
>>
>> Looks like some revision of the accepted methods of making compost
>> might be in order.  The first site I went to on making compost
>> specifically advises avoiding charcoal in the compost pile!!
>>
>> http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/assistance/education/
>> waste/composting.pdf
>>
>> The next two advised against using any charcoal ash.  By not saying
>> anything positive about using charcoal itself, the message conveyed
>> is negative towards using charcoal at all as a composting component.
>>
>> Gerrit
>>
>> On 24-Nov-07, at 6:33 PM, Tom Miles wrote:
>>
>>> See the presentation on charcoal mixed compost at the IAI
>>> conference by
>>> Shuji Yoshizawa, Satoko Tanaka, Michio Ohata or
>>> Meisei University and Shigeru Mineki, Tokyo University of Science.
>>>
>>> http://www.biochar-international.org/images/Yoshizawa_-
>>> _Charcoal_Composting_