[Terrapreta] Bogus

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:18:56 EST 2007

> The moral of this story is, don't put much stock in the use of pH. Plants
> require a balanced soil and proper nutrient. pH is not a nutrient, just a
> concept, a poor, sometimes misleading one. Charcoal, like other organic
> matter, may help buffer some of the problems in an imbalanced soil, but the
> chemical balance in the soil is determined almost completely by having the
> proper amount of calcium and magnesium.
>
> Jim
>
> ---

Very interesting
I have a very dead spot in my garden with a pH of 9 (!!)
I think it comes from an overflow of salt water from my salt-water pool.
I had everything I put in the soil die (except for a fantastic stephanotis)
until I looked at the pH. tried sulphur etc. to fix it.
All it seems to have done is kill my fantastic stephanaotis.(!!)

I do have to be careful adding charcoal to my soil as it does change pH
But I feel (haven't tested this) that the pH of charcoal amended soil fixes
itself in about 12 months.