[Terrapreta] O tillage

Jim Joyner jimstoytn at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 20:32:47 EST 2007

Nikolaus, thanks for your thoughtful words.

I'm anything but an expert. Also, I'm not a large scale farmer so I'm not sure my pronouncements apply to them. However, most of the no-till I do, I learned from a large scale farmer in South Georgia. He switched, primarily, because he got tired of watching his soil run off down the creek every year. But he has also lowered his costs.

He is a conventional farmer -- mostly cotton and peanuts. But the last I spoke with him, he had not used any herbicides for 3 years and had not applied any chemical fertilizer in 5 years. I asked him why he didn't just go organic. He said his hair was gone so couldn't become a hippy.  He is, however, a poster child for NRCS and they do soil tests for him 3 times a year.

I don't know for certain, but what I think is that a lot of no-till from which the stats come from is being run by farmers or bureaucrats who want to use conventional themes, crops and rotations. One just needs to be more creative and be intent on not using chemicals..

I use no herbicides, no chemical fertilizer and no pesticides, none for about 8 years. I have no weed or pest problems to speak of, although my fields are not especially pretty -- and my costs are a good 30% less than what they used to be. It's easier physical work but a lot more planing and management.

This is intuitive and I can't prove it, but my philosophy on microorganisms is, if I make a proper home for them, they will come (my post to Richard will tell you more).

Also, you have to understand, I have some of the poorest native soil on the planet -- a wind blown silt with nothing in it to mine. If I can raise my CEC to 44, I will see improvements, period. More importantly, if can raise the CEC to half that and it holds without applying or growing tons of organic matter, I will not only see results, I will cut my imput costs considerably. I agree that charcoal is not a silver bullet but I'm doing everything else right (I think), I just need to be able to hold onto what I've got in the soil longer.

Thanks again,

Jim