[Terrapreta] O tillage

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 26 02:17:45 EST 2007

Zero tillage in the soils I am familiar with is kind of like veganism, seems plausible on the surface, but when you get out the electron microscope and look at all those cute little horrible mites and such, there are no vegans...just folks with illusions.

See: http://www.abe.psu.edu/fac/Richard/Praxis.htm from whence this marvelous quote :

"We didn't bother to till the compost in. Over time it is being incorporated the old fashioned way, as described by Charles Darwin, one of the first scientists to appreciate the importance of organic matter recycling:

     "The plow is one of the most ancient and most valuable of man's inventions;
     but long before he existed the land was in fact regularly plowed, and still continues to be thus
     plowed by earthworms. It may be doubted whether there are many other animals which have
     played so important a part in the history of the world, as have these lowly organized
     creatures."

     Darwin, C.R. 1881. The Formation of Vegetable Mould Through the Action of Worms, with
     Observations on their Habits (Chapter 7). Murray, London.
     Charles Robert Darwin (1809-1882). "

I tend to agree that raw charcoal is not likely to be processed preferentially by worms until it has attractive materials associated with it, although worms, like birds and some reptiles, do ingest grit for their gizards. But once imbued with goodies from the composting process, charcoal should be as attractive to worms as rich organic soil is.

No till does not have to imply the use of herbicides. A growing body of organic no till methods are being developed:

http://www.newfarm.org/features/0104/no-till/index.shtml

http://www.newfarm.org/depts/notill/index.shtml

Again, it is probably best to understand this not as zero tillage, but as biotillage....materials are incorporated biologically into the soil.

Obviously, pastures and hayfields are zero tillage entities, and have been for millennia...or rather, they are biotillage entities, with a host of organisms including earthworms, dung beetles, and numerous others working hard to bioincorporate organic matter, much of which is in the form of exudate pumped into the root systems by plants eager to create beneficial microbial communities around their roots.

One way to simply apply charcoal (without addition to compost) would be to put it into pasture and hayfields after grazing or cutting; the stubble of the residue would hold it against blowing, and the shaded highly biologicially active soil right at the crowns of the pasture/hay plants would be a likely place for the charcoal to get sandwiched between twoor more layers of organic detritus and thus made more susceptible to further bioincorporation.

It would be interesting to study the relative distribution of applied carbon to bare soil, both directly and through compost and compost tea (or just nutrient materials like manure, sugar water, etc), and to compare it to the distribution patterns occuring in covered soils, eg, pastures, hayfields, forests, etc.

Of course, for people already tilling, applying manures, composts, banding fertilizers, etc, it makes a great deal of sense especially during the experimental stages of agrichar studies to simply piggyback agrichar into the existing methodologies and see what the results are.

There's something a bit 1984ish about charring up all the rotten logs in all the forests for agrichar, or in devising brave new monster rototillers to deeply incorporate it in one go, when with a bit of patience and wisdom we can see it worked in without all the heavy metal diesel beast activity, and without wiping out necessary habitat for forest floor fauna...

My two cents,

Frank Teuton