[Terrapreta] ethanol media blitz

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:00:11 EST 2007

*"Biodiesel could reduce greenhouse gas emissions*
*Submitted by News Account on 27 November 2007 *
"The results of this study show biodiesel has the potential to reduce
emissions from the transport industry, which is the third largest producer
of greenhouse gases in Australia, behind stationary energy generation and
agriculture," Dr Beer said.

"The greenhouse gas savings do however depend on the feedstock used to
produce the biodiesel. The highest savings are obtained by replacing base
diesel with biodiesel from used cooking oil, resulting in an 87 per cent
emission reduction."

"Palm oil can produce up to an 80 per cent saving in emissions provided it
is sourced from pre-1990 plantations. The palm oil source is critical as
product from plantations established on recently dried peat swamps or
cleared tropical forest will in fact have higher greenhouse gas emissions
than regular diesel due to factors such as land clearing."

The use of biodiesel also reduces the particulate matter released into the
atmosphere as a result of burning fuels, providing potential benefits to
human health"
. Biodiesel could reduce greenhouse gas emissions | Scientific
Blogging<http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_releases/biodiesel_could_reduce_greenhouse_gas_emissions>

Some sugar cane mills in Queensland run by burning bagess (waste). A pity
they can't do it by pyrolysis.
many farmers are turning to green harvesting (rather than burning before
harvest) selling the waste as mulch for southern gardeners.
I am sure there is still a lot of land and excess capacity in
Qld.beforemore land clearing becomes necessary.
Even then I wonder how much CO2 a hectare of sugar cane sequesters against a
hectare of native bush.
I would rather see family farms in Queensland get my petrol $ than Chevron-
Mobil et al.