[Terrapreta] Terra Preta - not just about charcoal in soil

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Mon Oct 1 14:27:52 EDT 2007

Sean and all-------Two points that are being discussed seem to fit
into my experience.

First, It have been my observation, which I suspect is universal,
that nature works from a position of abundance. This is a stark
contrast from the agricultural practices locally used. Reduced
biological diversity is the farmers goal it seems.

Just over sixteen years ago I began a wetland restoration project on
an acre of degraded treed pasture land. Even the young Alder trees
were extremely stressed or dead. Only the grasses and the shrubs seem
healthy. As I saw it, the Alder trees did explain the problem for
they are a weed (useful though) in Western Washington.

The stress was due to soil compaction during the wet season (October
till June) and during the dry season when the weather condition are
best described as droughty (given vegetational needs). Of course, the
farm practices included year round pasturing of animals. The animal's
hooves compacted the soil so that the Alder trees were unable to
thrive. Likely, they suffered on the during the three month (or so)
dry season.

When I started this restoration project, my main goal was to get as
much organic matter, in as many forms as practical. In four years,
these forms included band saw sawdust, planer shavings (150 cu yd),
tub grindings (flail knife shredded material), hog knife cut tree
prunings (1200 cu yd), round of wood between 10-20" in diameter
(mostly hardwood), a small number of free stumps (butt cut up to 24"
which were replanted with an excavator) and four years of clean
landscape debris.

A considerable effort went into acquiring and placing or stockpiling
this material around and into excavated vernal pools. Excavated
material from the vernal pools was used adjacent to these pools as
raised areas (drier growing areas). What I found very interesting was
the effectiveness the band saw sawdust in damning 6-8" of water.

The influence of this amount of organic matter in reclaiming this wet
pastureland was impressive early on and is still impressive. I have
believed that abundance and variety is the key to restoration whether
it be in the soil or above.

Secondly, I am currently experiencing nutritional deficiencies with
some beet starts grown in commercially made unfertilized charcoal.
The deficiencies were obvious after one month's growth. Some of these
starts are in the ground now so that they can be harvested in the
late spring. There may be a nitrogen shortage occurring. Something is
happening that is totally different than the Webber made charcoal
that set on the ground and fertilized for the greater portion of the
year before being buried in a planting bed.

Thanks for the postings, much appreciated-------Larry