[Terrapreta] Biochar Packing Strategies

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 17:12:58 EDT 2007

Hi Sean

I will add one quick comment at the moment.  The
earthen kiln that is constructed would be a closed
shell including a topping of dirt.  This will tend to
naturally grab the heavies coming off the hot zone.
And the operator would stand by to throw dirt on any
breakthroughs.

As you also pointed out, the shell is naturally leaky
to gases, including oxygen.  Thus it is reasonable to
suppose that there is a steady but slow supply of
oxygen which sustains the burn.

I suggested that the burn is initiated through the
expedient of emptying a bowl of red hot wood coals on
the top of the stack,  tipping the bowl on top of the
burn and covering same with mud.  This prevents the
burning charge from been stifled as the charge
migrates to the bottom of the stack.

This hot spot will draw in oxygen through the stack
and  force production gas into the walls of the
glowing chimney been created.

Now I want to talk about the stoichiometry of the
production gases.  The gases will burn preferentially
with the hydrogen and methane burning first,
especially since they are been produced at a high
temperature as you pointed out.

This means that the methane and hydrogen end will be
substantially reduced throughout the burn.  The dirt
shell helps a second time by slowing the exit of the
gases.

And yes there will still be leakage.

Field trials can resolve the actual numbers relating
to a well managed biochar burn.  At this point,
though, I suggest that light flammable gases will be
much less than anyone imagined.

By the way,has anyone determined the methane
production of a smoldering forest floor that is the
result of a forest fire or a slash and burn operation?
 It will clearly be at least equivalent to the
carefully controlled earthen kiln as described.  Such
a global calculation will actually give us an upper
limit to the  amount of gases we want to permit
globally since this method can replace and eventually
displace slash and burn.

regards

Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane>