[Terrapreta] Terra Preta - not just about charcoal in soil

Jon C. Frank jon.frank at aglabs.com
Tue Oct 2 18:26:59 EDT 2007

The reason I mentioned nitrogen deficiency is because that is what the
farmer observed and told us when he used charcoal.  We can learn a lot form
people who observe nature.

How can charcoal lead to an N deficiency?  Not 100% on that but I suspect
the soil is always trying to come to an equilibrium point in regards to
Carbon vs. Nitrogen and by adding more carbon the soil needs more nitrogen
to reach the equilibrium point.  Just my theory.  No Sean I won't waste my
time trying to validate or invalidate the theory.

To validate all you need to do is look for a nitrogen deficiency.  Further
validation may come from analyzing tissue for nitrogen.  The easiest way to
do that is to use a field meter such as:
http://www.specmeters.com/Chlorophyll_Meters/Minolta_SPAD_502_Meter.html

To prevent this N deficiency put on more nitrogen when using charcoal.  Not
a politically correct answer but it is a great answer when you are a
consultant and people depend on you to make help them get a good crop.

Jon