[Terrapreta] Terra Preta - not just about charcoal in soil

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Oct 2 22:05:58 EDT 2007

Hi David,

There is lots in what you just said that makes some sense to me right away; like, adding charcoal to soil (and hence more carbon) throws off the C/N balance.  That lightening bolt came to me probably as it came to you.

The charcoal soaks up the nitrogen?  Now that one ... that's interesting and not so obvious to me.  How does it do that?  Does the charcoal bind up the nitrogen into nitrogen bearing molecules?  Is it the carbon part of the charcoal or the VM part that soaks it up?  What are the resulting nitrogen bearing compounds?  Are these deep inside the charcoal or on the surface?  Are they available to plants (it seems not)?

Oh, this is kind of a paradox I am in here, but I need to ask?  Can I ask you questions?  Or, should I just read your stories and presume that you know the truth in most ways that I cannot even possibly divine by asking my naïve questions?

I need to go now and deal with (your buddy) Francoise's web site references, okay?