[Terrapreta] Terra Preta - not just about charcoal in soil

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Wed Oct 3 12:45:56 EDT 2007

I think this is basically wrong:

"dumping cooked, sterile char on any ecosystem will throw the C/N ratio way over to C.  a microbial and molecular scramble results as nature moves the intruded mass of C toward an equilibrium with N and the rest."

The whole point of adding char is that char is biologically unavailable C. No C scramble should occur. To the extent that there is an immediate short term effect we should look at things like ash content in the char.

Systems with char added should have much higher C:N ratios than systems without char, this is one of the central points of C sequestration via terra preta.

http://a-c-s.confex.com/a-c-s/2007am/techprogram/P34577.HTM

" In all but the Cone Pond watershed, C/N was positively and linearly related to C content. For these nine watersheds, the average C/N = 9.7 + 0.029 X C g/kg, R2 = 0.98. Ratios at Cone were much higher than would be predicted from the other data and charcoal was found in numerous samples, suggesting a source of recalcitrant C."

But I agree with this:

"we can cut the time for this assimilation and redistribution to occur by inoculating and incubating the char before it is broadcast into soil."

I imagine that powdered char can be added to compost tea successfully. Either the traditional mildly anaerobic teas, or the new highly aerated teas of controversy. Those wishing for aerobicity and rapid transition from application to cropping could make an aerated tea without nutrient additions until one hour before application to stay within the organic regulations. The use of nutrients like fish emulsion and/or molasses would also coat the char particles making them more attractive to soil organisms like earthworms for subsequent bio-incorporation.

My partner in grime, Stefan Sobkowiak, suggests that the idea of the char particle as a coral reef analog, ie, habitat, is the one he finds most compelling. It could be that the N shortages after large scale char applications are the result, not of a C scramble, but of organisms withdrawing from high predation rate habitats into relatively lower predation rate char habitats. This might slow N cycling enough to account for the observed effect.

An additional point, N fixing bacteria are no free lunch. They work their N fixing magic at the cost of consuming C (bio-energetic C) rich substrate.

My two cents,

Frank Teuton