[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 9, Issue 6

Christoph Steiner Christoph.Steiner at uni-bayreuth.de
Wed Oct 3 09:13:06 EDT 2007

After a long silence I would like to make a contribution to the discussion:

1)	Methane emissions from traditional charcoal kilns:
This is an important topic.
Burning or composting does cause CO2, CH2 and N2O emissions too. In order
to evaluate the avoided emissions due to charcoal production we need to
consider the alternative uses or “nonuse” of biomass as well.
Pro-Natura International has developed a continuous process of pyrolysis
vegetable waste transforming them into charcoal. The process burns the
methane produced as its driving source of energy. This project is a
Small-scale CDM-project and they estimated avoided CH4 emissions per ton
of charcoal at 0.67 tCO2-equivalents (not methane!) replacing the
traditional techniques. One ton of charcoal is approximately 3 tons of
CO2. If this assumption is right the production of charcoal in traditional
kilns would still produce a refractory carbon stock. A non fuel use of
this carbon (agricultural use) would create a sink. I suppose that
composting, mulching or burning of crop residues would cause more
greenhouse gas emissions in the long term.

2)	Charcoal alone does not create a “Terra Preta”
This is absolutely right in the “Terra Preta” case study.
Worldwide we can find other soils enriched with pyrogenic carbon.
Phosphorus and calcium availability is very limited in the Amazonian
environment. This is not the case in Terra Preta. Some other soils on the
globe contain (naturally or human induced) a lot of phosphorus but are
depleted in soil organic matter (SOM). It is important to value SOM apart
from its possible nutrient contents. SOM maintains good physical, chemical
and biological conditions.

3)	Immobilization of nitrogen – C/N ratio.
As fresh organic matter (not charcoal) is decomposed, the microbes use 75%
of the carbon for energy and 25% of the carbon is used to form their new
tissue. They require 1kg of N for every 8 kg of carbon as the C/N ratio of
microbes is 8/1. Therefore a C/N ratio of ~ 30 promotes rapid
decomposition of SOM. A wider C/N ratio favors immobilization of available
N. The opposite occurs if the C/N ratio < 30 (C/N ratios: Corn stalks
60/1, cow manure 20/1, Pine Needles 60-100/1, Wood 600/1).
Immobilization does not mean that the N is gone! A declining microbial
biomass releases the N again. It is important to distinguish between
available and total nutrient contents. Immobilization can cause N
deficiencies. In some soils the losses of N due to leaching are very
rapid. In this case the application of mineral N fertilizers is not very
efficient. Microorganisms can represent a large pool of nutrients
especially on less fertile sites. Microorganisms can act as sinks, during
immobilization and sources, during mineralization. Immobilization may
prevent N losses into sub-surface horizons or gaseous losses into the
atmosphere.
But Important: It is questionable how far charcoal-C can be utilized by
microbes and thus favoring N immobilization (if the charcoal C can not be
utilized it does not contribute to the 30/1 ratio or 8/1 microbial tissue
ratio. E. g. a plastic pot does contain lots of carbon but does not
contribute to immobilization as long the plastic is not consumed by the
microbial population). The recalcitrant nature of charcoal and
low-nutrient contents (depending on the type of charcoal, peanut hull
charcoal is very rich in nutrients) makes charcoal itself unlikely to be a
balanced fertilizer, but is important to support a healthy biological
activity.

www.OnondagaLakePeaceFestival.org