[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Questions

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Oct 4 01:15:12 EDT 2007

Hi Kurt,

# Where to get the right charcoal
>... the Indios used hardwood ...

Perhaps they did?  Christoph Steiner made a comment just today, that making charcoal from rainforest (or any forest, for that matter) might not be so good an idea.  He suggested that making charcoal from something that is going to "renew" soon might be better than taking out an already "fixed" store of carbon from a big tree.  I thought that made some sense.  If we want to sequester carbon fast, then we could probably stand to leave what standing carbon we can and char up the stuff that re-grows a bunch every year or few years.

# How to incorporate it into soil
>A light discing, perhaps, so as not to disturb the natural soil structure--- as little tilling as possible.

I've been wondering about this too?  The Amazonian Dark Earths are 2 meters deep in some places.  Maybe they were just piling it up over time?  But the sites are not mounds 2 meters tall, so had they dug a hole and filled it for 500 years?  I don't know why it was so deep?  If the whole site was a mound, then they would have had to haul in a lot of soil along with the charcoal.

We keep saying here, that the charcoal sort of "invigorates the activity" of the microbiology in the soil.  So, maybe the Amazon people had deeper rooted crops (Mangos?, Papyas?) and they wanted to make the soil better all the way down to the deep root zones.
There could be some benefit we aren't seeing for this charcoal enhanced soil zone to be deeper?  I think it might be worth an experiment to see how depth might make any difference.

# *What are the national permit and legislation aspects*
# *What are the application follow up control practices*
# *What are the comprehensive environmental and human health safety
aspects* (life cycle analyses
>None that I know of. Someone mentioned that flaring off the smoke from
>"make it in a drum" charcoal systems ignored the great danger from
>particulates ...

I think that was Adriana Downey who mentioned the particulates.  Smoke is carbon soot, from what I have read.  It is blown off the biomass when rapid heating is occurring during full combustion.  When pyrolysis occurs, the limited oxygen prevents the combustion, the rapid heating, and hence no smoke.  "Flaring" the H2, CO, and CH4 from the "producer gas" is only going to produce CO2 and H2O, no smoke either.  But, there may be some tars or aromatic hydrocarbons, etc. also in the emissions with the gas.  I don't know that these would or would not also be completely combusted in a "flare"?  If not, then then condensed vapors might constitute some sort of toxic particulate.  It the gas is cooled and sent through a cyclone filter before "flaring", then I think this could be prevented.  That is not probably going to happen with anyone making charcoal in a 55 gallon (200 liter?) barrel, though.  I'm pretty sure, that if you can make a a limited primary air, charring reaction in a barrel burn a flame with secondary air at the top of the char bed and without smoke, that particulates are not a problem.  I think particulates are visible.  So, if no visible "smoke", then no particulates?  That is kind of a guess for now.  But I know who to ask about it.