[Terrapreta] Fw: Durability of charcoal as carbon sink?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Oct 11 00:46:36 EDT 2007

Hi Edward, Brian, and other 'terrapreta' list members,

Edward, below is a POSTING received from you very early on in your subscription to this list, where you describe the "Durability of charcoal as a carbon sink?".  It was your interjected response to a discussion I was having with Duane Pendergast and Dr. Christoph Steiner about poisble ways to experimentally "measure" the durability of charcoal in soil.   I thanked you for the information then and I will again now + repost this to the list here again.  I do not know where you get this information, but I assumed the source reliable and the research valid and well documented.

You suggest that charcoal in soil is clearly long lived (in humand terms, some several 100s to 10,000 years).