[Terrapreta] carbon sequestration but where is TP?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Oct 12 02:36:52 EDT 2007

Hi Michael,

I was questioning about this topic sometime back, too.  If biochar enhances the activity of soil microorganisms, which actually do produce green house gases; CO2, H2O, CH4 and maybe even N2O, then will biochar potentially make GHG emissions from soil greater than they are currently?  Or, do the microorganisms prevent gas off more by fixing the carbon and nitrogen into their own living and growing molecular structures and populations?  The plants and the soil respire the atmosphere together.  When the biochar is in the soil, does it not also increase plant growth (we all say it does?!), thereby reducing GHG concentrations?  These are tough questions to guess at I think and perhaps very tough to test or measure and achieve answers for them either.

I think there is inertia or hysteresis, though, in the natural systems.  They will adapt slowly.  Humans have been pumping CO2 into the atmosphere wholesale for all of only 150 years and the natural systems are not adapting to achieve the equilibrium they had before we started.  What will happen to these systems?  Will plants and soil adapt slowly to live in an atmosphere with a higher GHG concentration or will they adapt to drive those concentrations down?  Maybe the adaptation to do one will cause the other?  Al Gore's CO2 chart showed CO2 concentrations and global average temperatures bouncing up and down several times in the past 800,000 years.  I think the natural systems will repeat that, somehow.

The human factor appears an accelerant on the upswing side of things.  Can humans turn that around and make it swing back down quickly?  Before people, the natural systems normalized the CO2 concentrations, temperatures, and probably plant and soil microorganism populations and types all by themselves  (and slowly, with intervening ice ages and shit).  Now the human factor, "the wrench" thrown into the works as it has been ... Is that going to push the natural systems beyond their ability to adapt?  My guess would be NO!, ... given the history of things like volcanic activity and just the formation of the planet, in general.  Nature will come back, just like it emerged on an atmosphere-less planet to begin with.  I have no doubt of this.  I also do not expect it to be rapid.

But since we effected a change one way, can we effect the other change, back towards the natural equilibrium point, by making TP soils?  Do we have to even do that?  It kind of looks like we might have pushed the world to be a more "Hellish" place than it was before and that lots of people will die as a result of this.  Some say, humans are "the most adaptable" of all species yet known.  Maybe, those of us that survive will just adapt and we will never put the atmosphere back to the equilibrium point because it will be cheaper and possible for us to just adapt?  (humans are lazy bastards on the whole) This, I think I would call the "Now you've made your bed, and you've pissed in it, so now you'll lay in it" approach.  The "Sooner" approach.  I think it is the same thing as what is called Conservatism, the GOP, and/or Bushiness.