[Terrapreta] carbon sequestration but where is TP?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Oct 12 09:48:28 EDT 2007

Hi Brian,

I have read again, recently, about the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), about Joint Implementation and Clean Development Mechanism (JI/CDM), about the CDM Excutive Board (CDM EB) and third party Designated Operational Entities (DOE), and about the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).

No where have I seen that there is ANY requirement for a Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) of a carbon sequestration or emissions reduction project before a project can be approved by the CDM EB.

"Project-based mechanisms allow actions that reduce GHG emissions from, or enhance sinks beyond, what would otherwise occur to receive "credits" for the emissions mitigated."

"The most important factor of a carbon project is that it establishes that it would not have occurred without the additional incentive provided by emission reductions credits."

"Outline of the project process
An industrialized country that wishes to get credits from a CDM project must obtain the consent of the developing country hosting the project that it will contribute to sustainable development. Then, using methodologies approved by the CDM Executive Board (EB), the applicant (the industrialized country) must make the case that the carbon project would not have happened anyway (establishing additionality), and must establish a baseline estimating the future emissions in absence of the registered project. The case is then validated by a third party agency, called a Designated Operational Entity (DOE), to ensure the project results in real, measurable, and long-term emission reductions. The EB then decides whether or not to register (approve) the project. If a project is registered and implemented, the EB issues credits, called Certified Emission Reductions (CERs, equivalent to one metric tonne of CO2 reduction), to project participants based on the monitored difference between the baseline and the actual emissions, verified by the DOE."

The project does not have to be profitable nor are there any provisions that it must "do no harm".  It only needs to show that there will be resulting and measurable reductions in GHG emissions or enhancement of carbon sinks.  The credits (CERs) are only paid when the measurements show that there are reductions from baseline levels.  It is most important that these reductions are shown to be able to occur ONLY with the CDM and would not have occurred otherwise.

Only Kyoto Signatories can participate in CDM projects, George!  USA and Australian interests MUST have foreign Kyoto signatory partners in both Annex I and Developing countries to even participate.

The actual bar is lower than your pro-pounded LCA!