[Terrapreta] Pee AKA human urine :)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Oct 17 11:49:40 EDT 2007

Hi Michael,

I do not think the disease potential in the use of human wastes (most especially feces) should be downplayed too much.  E-coli does and has killed people recently.  Cholera is one of the most deadly and infectious diseases still today.  Both are directly related to and vectored by human wastes.  Using human wastes as fertilizer for food crops is definitely not as simple as we can all shit and piss in buckets and then throw it on our vegetable gardens!

Nonetheless, the humanure wastes and animal wastes can be utilized as fertilizers, but the safe handling and processing of these materials is absolutely required before it can be distributed willy-nilly on fields ... even if they are not growing food crops.  No one wants to get explosive diarrhea from taking a walk in the woods, park, or a cotton field, right?!  And then there is the "Mary"-like stink?!