[Terrapreta] Praire is natures way of making terra preta.

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Sat Sep 1 14:39:17 EDT 2007

the notion the midwest's thick dark loams are glacial deposits is as falacious as the original assumption terra preta was a natural geological deposit.  glaciers deposit minerals from cracked, scoured and pulverized rocks.  they didn't deposit (hardly) any organic materials.

the last continental glacier retreated 10-12,000 years ago.  with a fresh supply of primary, unreacted rock minerals and trace elements, biological nature rapidly turned inert dirt -- primary rock minerals -- into topsoil.

many prairie and forest plants send dense root structures six, eight, even ten feet into the ground.  some are taproot structures; others are fine mesh, highly branched networks.  when these plants die, they leave all their carbon skeletons deep in the soil.  and larger soil organism such as earthworms further distribute organic matter  throughout the subsoil.  10,000 years in highly mineral enriched soil is more than enough time for nature to create high carbon soils several feet deep.

but it only takes a century (or less) of plowing and chemicals to burn off most of that organic matter.  after all, the tractor was only widespread beginning the early 1900s, and ag chemical didn't widely proliferate until after WW2.

which is part of the intrigue and mystery of terra preta and charcoal: their fertility, organic carbon content and stucture hasn't degraded all that much in 300 years of intensive use.

David Yarrow
"If yer not forest, yer against us."
Turtle EyeLand Sanctuary
44 Gilligan Road, East Greenbush, NY 12061
dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
www.championtrees.org
www.OnondagaLakePeaceFestival.org
www.citizenre.com/dyarrow/
www.farmandfood.org
www.SeaAgri.com

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light."
-Albus Dumbledore