[Terrapreta] Fwd: Google Alert - "terra preta "

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 06:28:53 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

A tropical forest is an incredible network of biomass in many forms -- flora
and fauna, plants, shrubs, trees. And for trees, there are many kinds --
hard and soft, large and small. I have no idea as to the proportion by
volume of each form.

I am resistant to short-hand descriptions that simplify the question to
"corn rows versus rainforest trees"  when it's really a question of forest
biomass versus agricultural and human wastes. Ancient indigenous cultures
had to develop their technologies across time. There had to be a
transformation in the feedstock for char -- starting with lots of forest and
few people, then transitioning toward less forest, more people, more
agriculture and more waste. I imagine a developmental structure for terra
preta where the ingredients and their proportions changed across time ending
with the incredible outcome of the soils reproducing themselves as a living
system.

OK, I'm a tree guy and I don't want biofuels (of all kinds) or new soil
amendments to necessarily imply more deforestation. I hope that the terra
preta movement can embrace the goal of soil and forest restoration and
preservation.

Thanks for listening.

lou

lou