[Terrapreta] Biomass sources for Terra Preta charcoal (the old vs. the new)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Sep 7 09:21:17 EDT 2007

Hi Lou,

Oh, I do agree.  I think that the potential threat of deforestation of the tropics with the mention of "tropical hardwoods trees is the classic source for charcoal" is severe.  We have to use agricultural wastes.  These are the carbons that nature is not already naturally "fixing".  The ag wastes will decompose and gas off unless they are converted into "fixed carbon" in the form of charcoal.

The agricultural wastes also are on the site where the charcoal product will be applied.  I think it is more economical to convert waste biomass on site and apply it on site than to be shipping anything (biomass feedstock) anywhere.