[Terrapreta] CO2 rising

Brian Hans earthmimic at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 17:12:54 EDT 2007

Hi David,

  Coal and other fossil fuels come from swamps and peatbeds. So unless the forest floats down the river and becomes a swamp... Im not sure where you going with this comment.

  And David, we are talking about sinks. So the question isnt how do I acct for the forest soils...its how much is sinking into those soils y/y? Biopact says 0%.
  Also to back this data up is the fact that Sean seems to think that forests sink 2+t/a/y of Carbon...yet the soils are only' inches to feet thick'. Over time...how do you square this? shouldnt the soils after only a few years be feet thick and over 1000's of years be meters thick? Yet as you noted...they arnt. Why is that?

  Brian Hans

  David Yarrow <dyarrow at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
          On 9/21/07, Brian Hans <bhans at earthmimic.com > wrote:
> forests and especially old growth forests are not carbon sinks.

  if this is true, then how do we account for all the carbon stored in coal beds?

  and how do we account for the black humus under forests, ranging from several inches to a few feet thick?

Terrapreta mailing list
Terrapreta at bioenergylists.org