[Terrapreta] Making charcoal in a barrel

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 21:59:26 EDT 2007

Hey Gerrit,

Making charcoal is very easy, heat the biomass up to the start of it's
exothermic curve and away she go's! In the barrel setup that I described to
David all the oxygen is consumed and the heat given off forces the cooler
biomass to rise in temperature and so on. The hard part is keeping a flame
to burn as much of the off gasses as possible as there is typically a lot of
steam coming off and that's the reason to get a good fire going first and
add the rest of your biomass slowly.

>From what I can make out from the look of the high ash content of this guys
charcoal he's doing some thing that I described and I know he's going around
this local area teaching others http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRhTmKySnhA

Give it a try in a tin can and you'll see your self.

Rob.