[Terrapreta] Fw: if yer not forest...

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Sep 24 15:46:08 EDT 2007

Hi David,

I'm sorry if you felt what I said was too critical of you.  I just don't think that your proposals can really grapple with the scope of the problem we are faced with.  I have Bill Mollisons book, "PERMACULTURE A Designers' Manual" from TAGARI press.  I have read only parts of it, but my take so far is that it is poorly written for a scientific text, it sometimes has too many pictures and pseudo-science rambling (perhaps like some others in the movement), and very scant on references (Section 14.16 References is 1 1/2 pages with only 15 sources).

Here is story, which might illustrate what I mean.  It goes something like this;  There is a comet headed towards Earth.  It been in its orbit around our sun for hundreds of millions, perhaps billions of years, inertia and gravity guiding it the whole time.  It has past close by maybe a few times in the distant past.  Now, because of random synchronicity, it is on a collision course with Earth, right into Earth's orbit, through our delicate atmosphere, and smack onto the rock.

Some "wise-n-heimer" figures out that we can send all our nuclear warheads out into space ahead of the collision and just give it a "Big Boom" on one side, pushing just a little bit to the side, altering its course slightly, making it a near miss instead of a collision and a global catastrophe.  There is probably a good chance that someone here can muster the physics understanding and humans COULD actually make this happen.  Humans will once again beat back the Natural Universe, making it do what we want.

Inertia is amazing though.  We may be able to move that comet a slight bit out of its orbit, but inertia will keep it still in just another slightly altered orbit.  Without any further "Big Boom" external forces that comet will continue along in its "new" orbit for a very long time, as long or longer than it had before.

I believe the Earth's atmosphere and the natural systems in the "Living Biosphere" have this same sort of inertia.  Humans are exercising what amounts to a "Big Boom" against the side of this moving body (the "Living Biosphere").  We have altered the course of it.  Slaughtering forestland by the millions of acres, pumping copious amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, and destroying billions upon trillions of soil microorganisms and plants formerly inhabiting in and on the soils.  We have made the Earth into a very different place in a very short period of time.

We have made an impact on a slowly changing phenomenon.  Every year now, we throw 5% (~6 Gt) more carbon into the atmosphere, which has the "Living" part of the Biosphere under it only recycling ~120 Gt of carbon in and out of it each year.  It is like the big kid pushing the big heavy merry-go-round on the playground faster and faster every time it goes round.

The atmosphere is mostly passive, subject to the very slowly changing movement of the living systems underneath it.  The inertia of our environment (Atmosphere within the "living Biosphere") will keep on at the "new" way for a very long time.  Well past our lifetimes, even if we work as hard at moving it back the other way as we did getting here.

Then, there is little stomach from people for the real level of work that would be required to remediate the problems in the environment.  Foot-dragging and half measures will be the norm for a long time.  The masses are un-reactive and guided by inertia as well.  Just look at what the word "Conservatism" means; "We like it the way it is, so lets just keep it that way".   Just imagine the arm of the ventriloquist, Dick Cheney, shoved up the ass of the puppet, George Bush, making him say that.

I think, therefore, that we will be the one's required to adapt to a changed Nature.  We won't put Nature back to the old ways.

"Speed up, Brother" would be a better proposal.  Don't you think?  It might be less condescending too, more helpful to put the fire under some ones belly, rather than to lay back harmonizing and glorifying about the way things were, and how we all ought to appreciate this once wonderful time.   I am way more interested in proactive realism.   If you want to help, grip the reality of the problem at hand and quit trying to lambaste me for the way I say things.

"Our roots do not cast shadows".  <= To me this means we can only learn from history, but seeing in the light of today, history cannot effect the future.

Do you see a way that Terra Preta can work?  Do you see a way that we can enlist the entire world's populations to try and make Terra Preta perform an environmental miracle that will help us all survive in the "new" environmental reality that we have already created?